No action yet on Liberhan
Lucknow: The Babri Masjid Action Committee (BMAC), formed on Feb 6, 1986, after the Babri Masjid locks were opened up on Feb 1, 1986, had its first sitting, since the last September verdict, at Lucknow last month. It was presided over by advocate Mushtaq Ahmed Siddiqui. The meeting took stock of the issues pertaining to the Babri Masjid. The mood was all upbeat as more than 65 members, from all over UP, made it to the meeting.
Mushtaq Ahmed Siddiqui delved on the preparations and execution of the plans by the Muslim side to contest the case in the Supreme Court and informed that the Muslim side has by now submitted five petitions in the Apex Court, challenging the three-judges bench order of Sept 30, 2010.
The five petitions which have been filed require elaboration. Hafiz Siddiq, a resident of Moradabad, has approached the SC in the same case. His association with Babri Masjid had come by virtue of Jamiat-ul-Ulema-e-Hind (JUH) which had filed a petition in the Babri Masjid case in 1961. Siddiq has inherited that legacy since he has been a general secretary of JUH. The second one is from Misbahuddin. His association with Babri Masjid is, of three-generations as his grandfather ShahabudDin and later his father ZiaudDin had earlier contested the case. MisbahudDin is a resident of Faizabad. The third is from Muhammed Hashim Ansari, now around 80 years and a resident of Ayodhya, Faizabad. His only popularity is his association with the Babri Masjid case since six decades. The last two petitions have been filed by the Sunni Central Waqf Board in Suit No. 4 and Suit No. 5 of the case. Both the petitions are almost identical with slight variations.
Taking stock of the Liberhan Commission Report of 2009, it was felt that the UPA government is yet to conform to its own commitment to secularism and there is yet to be any action taken on the findings of the Commission’s report. “The action taken by the UPA on the report betrays all signs of indifference as the Commission has explicitly found the RSS, VHP, BJP, Shiv Sena, Bajrang Dal etc (all associates of BJP) guilty of conspiracy for the demolition of Babri Masjid and the government is yet to wake up to the issue and to make a move in order to bring the guilty to book,” said Mushtaq Ahmed Siddiqui. He added that circumstances have proven beyond doubt their role in the demolition but the steps taken by the UPA government on it have been precious little.
“The BMAC is of the view that the demolition-accused should be brought to justice at the earliest. The committee demands that the UPA government along with CBI submit an application in the High Court for a day-to-day hearing of the demolition case in order to expedite the proceedings and thus, cement the people’s faith in the judiciary.
“The Liberhan Commission has thrown light on everything and it is quite difficult to understand as to why the UPA is shying from a principled stand to direct CBI to include the conspiracy charge against LK Advani, the prime architect of the Babri Masjid demolition. But, instead of CBI finding ways to make a conspiracy charge against LK Advani, I feel that CBI has started to hurry-up with the case, being conducted at the Rae Bareli Court, UP. CBI should invite as many witnesses as possible, so that the case against the demolition accused gets a firm base and the demolition accused are brought to justice,” he said. After the demolition of Babri Masjid, at Ayodhya, Faizabad two cases were lodged. They were Case No. 197/1992 and Case No. 198/1992. The first one was against unknown number of Karsevaks and the latter against high profile BJP and VHP leaders. The Case No. 197/1992 is being heard at Rae Bareli Court but without the conspiracy charge against LK Advani, something which could happen due to the courtesy of BJP-led NDA government during the hey days of its power (1997-2004).
MA Siddiqui would like action against the 68 persons who have been named for their alleged role in the demolition by the Liberhan Commission. “But, the irony is that the UPA is yet to direct CBI, to include those who have been ‘the left-overs’, for their role in the demolition. This should have been done within 24 hours of the tabling of the Commission report, or else what’s the use of wasting 17 years when the net result as yet is nothing but something abysmally unsubstantial,” he said. Liberhan Commission was constituted to probe the Babri Masjid demolition in 1993 and had submitted its report after 17 years of investigation. “What’s the point when no positive signal has as yet been forthcoming from the UPA and the whole hype and hoopla over Liberhan Commission have been consigned to a typical ‘sarkari report’ where no action would be the only action. Things have become quite loathsome,” he said. He also let the meeting know that All India Muslim Personal Law Board is supervising the cases filed in the SC challenging the HC order of Sept 30 and also that five petitions are likely to be submitted after the order of the HC is made available to the parties.